Pages

Sunday 10 November 2013

Hello again!

Not sure if anyone out there has missed me, but I've been absent from the blogging world for a while as I've just had my second baby; Alice.  If anyone read my blog about baby naming, yes we did finally agree (obviously!) and little Alice Joyce Haf was named! 

If you're interested, and even if you're not, here's how we decided in the end.  Alice was always on our list, I think my hubby brought it to the table, but it was never in the top three really. Until the last week of my over due pregnancy, when it just seemed to click. We agreed to disagree on our personal favorites (Matilda for me, Abbie for him) and so needed a fresh name we hadn't already discussed in detail and dismissed. I think Alice fits all of my criteria, it's pretty, not silly; classic, not too modern; not too popular, not too weird;  it's interesting, but not 'interesting'! I think our daughter would be taken seriously as a professional or anything she chooses to do in her life. I was pushing to spell it the welsh way, Alis, but actually I'm glad we went with the classic spelling in the end, we avoided a life time of having to spell out her name constantly!

What about the middle names? Well Joyce was always the middle name of choice as both of our grandmas were called Joyce, a happy coincidence.  It was made even more special when Alice was born on my Grandma's birthday! You couldn't make it up! I really feel this was more than a coincidence in some way; even though my Grandma passed away when I was only eleven, I have always felt her presence in my life. I think she had something to do with it, somehow...

Why Haf? Haf? Haf means summer in welsh. I was always keen on Summer as a first or second name as its my favourite season and it cunjours up sunny happy images! I also wanted some hint to my welsh childhood in my daughters name, I feel it's interesting and different. Alice was also born on the last day of summer, she just got in there, I told myself I wouldn't use it if she was born in autumn!   My husband wasn't so convinvced, he didn't think she needed two middle names, but my son has two, so felt it would be mean to only give Alice one! 

So that's how she was born, although I won't share with you all the gory details of the actual birth! 

Anyway, I'm off to do a bit of sewing while the boys are at rugby! 

happy Sunday! 

No comments:

Post a Comment