Pages

Tuesday 8 July 2014

Which tribe do you belong to?

Having been around the parenting scene now for nearly 3.5 years, I've observed different groups of parents and realised most slot into one or a couple of the following tribes. Which one do you think you are?? Just for fun. 

The hippy tribe

You know the ones, they are free enough to select a name for their baby that isn't in the top one hundred baby names list.  They're creative with their lives and their parenting and usually don't follow conventional rules or care what others think.  They do what feels right and let the child have a huge say in how they're brought up.  Not to say they're totally out of control, although some may be...

The baby wearer tribe 

They never put them down! These could be part of the Hippy tribe too, or vise versa, but not necessarily.  They don't agree with baby Bjorne carries though, these are controversial and effect the development and growth of baby. (My two are fine though, thanks for asking.)  The baby sleeps either in a cot which is attached to the bed or if that's too far away, just in bed with mummy and daddy. All the time. These people deserve a medal in my book for not wanting some child free time and space! 

The self help tribe 

The self help books are bought pre the birth of their child; as soon as they exit the 12 week scan or sometimes before. I'm not talking one or two to help you along. I'm talking every book they can get their hands on. Stalking baby center chat boards is also a bad habit of this tribe. Constantly comparing their parenting to everyone else's. Now I'm not saying we haven't all done this once or twice, but every night is an unhealthy habit that will drive you insane! It doesn't just stop at baby books though, weaning books, talking books, pre-school books you name them and they've got them, a whole bookshelf full. I'm pretty sure they won't find the answer to parenting in a book. Although I must admit I tried at the beginning! 

The fly-by-the-seat-of-your-pants tribe 

Now I must admit, this is my tribe most of the time!  I'm not great at being organised and my memory is worse than that of our gold fish; aka Tiny Little Fish.  This means that I rarely know the dates of pre-school/ crèche terms, trips or parent evenings.  I find these things out, usually, by over hearing other mums talking on the day or day before if I'm lucky!
I'm amazed I haven't taken H to nursery when it's closed yet,... But there's still time! I usually don't know what day of the week it is, let alonethe date. 

The super mums tribe 

Luckily I have a couple of friends like this.  Those ones that know everything. Somehow they know about last minute changes to monkey music venues, they've been to or know about every child group in town and know which ones to avoid, they know the term dates of your child's pre-school; and their child doesn't even go there! They arrange their week to military precision.  They slot you in on a Wednesday at 11am for an hours play date.  They always have time for you though and their other three hundred friends. They're house is always spotless.  
How is this possible? No idea. 

Of course you could fit into a couple of tribes quite happliy, or maybe you've got your own tribe? If so, please let me know what it is by commenting! 

Happy Parenting! 

Here's some parenting pics: 






No comments:

Post a Comment