Pages

Wednesday 30 September 2015

#hearingaids

Today we went to collect Alice's hearing aids; all of us! Obviously Scott wanted to come, and I wanted him to come (he's better at remembering what questions to ask and generally remembers what the audiologist has said more than two seconds after leaving their room) but H ended up coming too, having been off school with a sickness bug and being denied re-entry for 48 hours post last bout of sickness.  There were no childcare options; nanny and Gdad were looking after their other grandkids! So off we all trekked to the hospital! 

We were both amazed at her reaction to having her aids switched on for the first time; her face was a picture of confusion and enlightenment. Both joyous and anxious simultainiously. 

I thought that if she heard the benefit of having them in, she would keep them in.  I forgot that normal human logic doesn't apply to a two year old. 

Today has been a roller coaster of emotions, I can only speak for myself, but I'm pretty sure she is emotionally exhausted too.  

I am so happy that we have finally got to the bottom of it, after two years of repeated tests, but also keep wondering if they've made a mistake. I hope that, once she's used to wearing them, they gain her access to the world of complete sound, but I am also too aware that they will never be a true replacement for the human ear working at it's best. 

I am full of motherly worries, my brain can't help leaping forward to her education (being a teacher doesn't help I guess) and worrying that she will be at a constant disadvantage to her peers. Reading that early speech and language issues are often linked to later literacy difficulties, as well as the possibility that she could inherit my dyslexia, are also weighing heavily on my mind. But we will cross those bridges if and when we come to them.

I'm sure we will learn so much over the next few months, from the audiologists, ENTs and paediatricians, as well as google...

Just in the small amount of time I've been looking, it has surprised me how little support seems to be available in my area, in terms of meeting other toddlers with hearing loss and parents going through similar things. 

I have found these organisations that seem to be useful if you are going through anything similar:

National Deaf Children's Society: has lots of information on their website, also has local groups around the country, but not in South Bucks: 
http://www.ndcs.org.uk

Young Deaf Activities : based in Buckighamshire, has a toddler / parent support group for hearing impaired and deaf children under 5 as well as youth clubs for older children: http://yda.org.uk/index.html

Hearing Aid Headbands: these look great! I've already realised keeping them on is going to be a challenge! I'm measureing Alice's head in the morning and buying one of these: 
http://www.hearingaidheadbands.co.uk

Please let me know if you know of any other groups/ facebook pages in South Buckinghamshire, I would love Alice to meet other toddlers with hearing aids!

Here's a pic taken today of the cheeky monkey! (Without aids on I'm afraid!) 

I know that with her determination, comedic timing and pure cheeky-ness, she will be fine in life. I just don't want there to be too many obstacles in her way! 

No comments:

Post a Comment